In nursery this week our focus is to work on the 5 stages of counting.
1. One-One- Can your child line up a selection of objects and count them, giving on number for each object?
2. Rote Counting- Can your child count from one to ten in the correct order, without missing any numbers out and starting at the number one?
3. Cardinal Principle- Does your child understand that the final number said when counting a group of objects is its total?/
4. Abstraction Principle- Does your child understand that anything can be counted including things that cannot be touched, including sounds and movements?
5. Order-Irrelevance- Does your child understand that however we count a group of objects, whether it be from left to right, right to left, or if the objects are moved, the total will still be the same?